About the Research
Our members supported us to run a large-scale research project which looked at issues related to growth in the professional body sector, particularly for smaller organisations.
Our previous research had found that the main differences between professional bodies is one of size rather than, for example, professional field, governance structure or CPD policy. Small professional bodies face a unique set of issues that warrant our research.
How did we carry out the project?
For this research, we asked:
- How do you get members to sign up?
- How do you move from those initial, volunteer-led, stages of existence towards a more sustainable and further-reaching type of organisation?
- How do you decide what kind of staff you need to recruit?
- How do you supplement the income you get from member subscriptions?
- How do you become the voice of our profession, gaining the ear of Government?
Smaller associations shared their experiences and concerns with us, as well as organisations who had already overcome some of those early problems.
What did we find?
Read the findings and in-depth analysis in our publication, The Growing Pains of Smaller Professional Associations